Bible Study April 3, 2019
LESSON TEN: "You Will Have Power".
Wednesday April 3, 2019
Conference Call Number: (563) 999-2090 Access Code: 793633 Very important: To those of you who have T-Mobile or Metro PCS phone service, you must first dial this number 206-451-6112, you will then be prompted to dial the Conference Call Number and Access Code above. This will allow you to use the confernce call for free.
The Holy Spirit fills Jesus’ followers with power
(ACTS 2: 1-4)
You will receive power when the Holy Spirit come on you.
I will seek to sense, see, and hear the Holy Spirit.
This week, you and your group will be studying God’s promise in his Word that he will give you power through the Holy Spirt within you.
Before your group meeting, read chapter 12 in Unshakable Hope: “You Will Have Power.” Spend some time using the following personal study to reflect on what you’ve read.
- In what ways do Christians often settle for a “two-thirds God”?
- Why is the Holy Spirit central to the life of a Christian?
- In what ways have you experienced the Holy Spirit giving you a much-needed push in the back when you need to step forward in faith?
- What is the Holy Spirit’s role in unity in a church family?
Now take some time to allow this promise from God to take root in your heart by reflecting on the following passages of Scripture. Begin by taking a moment to be still. Let the distractions of the day slip away, and ask God to focus your heart and mind on him.
- Read John 3:5-8. How would you describe what Jesus said in one or two sentences?
- Read 1 Corinthians 12:4-14. What is the role of the Holy Spirit in the work of the church? How do you see a gift (multiple gifts expressed) in your life?
- Read Romans 8:26-27. What do you think it means to pray in the way described in this passage? How could you begin to make this your regular practice of prayer?
- Read 1 Thessalonians 5;19-24. What are ways you can quench the Holy Spirit in your life? How do you think you can learn to live more by the leading of the Holy Spirit?
- Write down some of the things that tend to distract you from the following the leading of the Holy Spirit. Recognize the source of those distractions. Reflect on practical ways to change your rhythms and routines to allow for greater work of the Holy Spirit.
- Consider what fresh discoveries surfaced from this session’s reading and personal study. Write anything that you would like to share with the group in the space below.
- Close by thinking about an action step you could take to increase your awareness of this promise from God or share it with another person. Write this action below.
As you watch the video for session ten, use the following outline to record any additional takeaways from the teaching.
The disciples were never accused of overqualification.
Many believers today are settling for a two-thirds God
The Holy Spirit gives us power, unity, and supervision
We can have the Holy Spirit but not let the Spirit of God have us.
The same power that put Satan on his heels will defeat Satan in our lives.
Take a few minutes with your group members to discuss what you just watched and explore these concepts in Scripture.
- What statement in the video teaching affected you the most? Why?
- What in the teaching surprised you about the role or work of the Holy Spirit?
- How does the idea of settling for a two-thirds God affect your view of your faith?
- What are the gifts the Holy Spirit has given to you? How is he empowering you for your ministry inside the church? How is he empowering you for ministry outside the church?
- What is your specific action step to live out this promise of God this week?